Re: Unusual Message log contents

From: Mark Newby (markat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 05:13:40 PDT

    Gregory Kane wrote:

    > Ok - I'm not totally sure what is going on here. Does
    > anyone have a thought about this entry in my message.log
    > file?

    I saw this sort of stuff prior-to/during/after a Red Hat Linux 7.2 Web
    server was cracked into an used by crackers to install IRC bots,
    sniffers, trojaned servers (ftp server), etc.

    I'd check for rogue files, rootkits, etc.  a good start is to run
    chkrootkit (<www.chkrootkit.org>).  there's lots of FAQs, etc on the www
    that explain the steps to go through in detecting if you've been
    compromised and how to recover.

    mark