Re: Compromised Win2000 machine. - Follow UP

From: Daniel Hay (dhayat_private)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 14:27:41 PDT

    OK I managed to sniff the password for the "login" program after
    tcpkill'ing the irc connection of the bot several times, in the hope the
    "owner" of the bot would login and try to figure out what was happening
    and sure enough it only took about 10 minutes and i had the password. I
    was able to use it to login the say way the warez pups did.  The program
    that was listening on port 4160 was called wollf, the program is
    available from www.xfocus.org.

     From their website "Extended Telnet Services, support file transfers,
    support reverse-connect through firewall, you can use a option to start
    it as a serivce or a general process."

    It seems pretty powerful from what I seen dinking around with it this
    afternoon, it allowed the remote user to "export" a cmd.exe shell on any
    port you choose, it allowed you to get process listings and screen
    listings, kill processes, ftp put and get files from other ftp sites,
    telnet from the compromised host to other hosts, view files on the
    system rename and delete files etc etc.

    After speaking with the user this afternoon I was informed that the
    machine did infact have a NULL admin password but they dont use the
    admin account so they never noticed the password had been reset. The
    warez pups had their junk in 2 hidden directories in
    c:\winnt\system32\sys32 and c:\winnt\system32\sysfiles

    I had the user zip these directories and send them to me,  if anyone
    wants to check them out drop me a line, the zip files are the complete
    directory and structure minus the 12 gig of movies, porn and games :).
    After running ngrep and looking for the login banner "wollf" I managed
    to find 3 other dorm machines on campus that had been hit by the same
    person using the same password, directory structure and ports so if you
    find something you think maybe the wollf program on port 4160 drop me a
    line and i'll give you the password because chances are its the same kid.

    Cheers
    Danny