Re: Stolen Card Purchases

From: Jonathan Bloomquist (jsbloomat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 20:11:13 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathanat_private>
    To: <incidentsat_private>
    Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 8:24 PM
    Subject: Stolen Card Purchases

    > We've seen a significant increase in the number of stolen credit card
    > purchase [attempts] made on our website recently, and I'm wondering if
    > anyone has had very good experience in convincing any legal arm to take
    > action.  We have sent three related incidents to the Secret Service, who
    > will not touch it unless there's at least $50,000 involved.
    > Unfortunately, most local law enforcement agencies are impotent at such
    > issues.  We traced the first attempt back through an open proxy where
    > the administrator even sent us enough information to track him back to a
    > residential DSL line, but nobody's willing to put in even a little work
    > to go and subpoena the data and make an arrest.
    >
    > We're getting pretty sick of having to feel "paranoid" when customers
    > purchase our products, so I'm hoping some of you may have had more luck
    > than I have thus far in dealing with such issues.  Any creative comments
    > would be appreciated.

    I would assume the ones with the most to lose would be the banks which issue
    the cards.  They can also afford to fund legal means to get their money
    back.  I would begin by contacting the fraud department for the bank which
    had the highest number of attempts.  I would hope they already have
    procedures in place for prosecuting this sort of thing.

    Jonathan