Re: Stolen Card Purchases

From: Jonathan A. Zdziarski (jonathanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 06:24:16 PDT

    Hi,

    Thanks for all the emails I received.  Just to make a few points of
    clarification in regards to our specific situation...

    - The credit cards being used were not stolen on the Internet, as not
    all of the cardholders involved in these related incidents had made
    purchases on the Internet.

    - The person or persons using these stolen cards had all the correct
    information (such as address and even phone number, which is how we were
    able to contact each cardholder).

    - We traced at least one of these incidents back through some proxies to
    a residential DSL line in the US, and I'm sure the Internet provider
    could furnish whomever [under subpoena] with name and address.

    I'm going to contact a few of the people who emailed me, but it sounds
    like from the other half of the emails I received, very few law
    enforcement agencies are interested in making arrests these days.  If
    this is the case, I'm wondering what reporting this to the media would
    do.  A story about how the government lets theifs run free sounds like
    it'd be enough to get some government organizations to shape up.