RE: Stolen Card Purchases

From: Jason Coombs (jasoncat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 14:11:06 PDT

    > - The person or persons using these stolen cards had all the correct
    > information (such as address and even phone number, which is how we were
    > able to contact each cardholder).

    Just because the credit card thief can pass Address Verification Service
    with the right house number and zip code that doesn't mean you should
    trust them enough to ship your goods to a different address than the
    one that matched AVS. You should also ask your customers for the card
    identification number that appears next to the embossed card number.
    Even when this matches with the records of the card issuer, you must
    use common sense and only ship to the validated billing address as
    confirmed by AVS unless you have good reason to trust the customer.
    Repeat customers, for example, could earn the right to purchase gifts
    from your business for shipment to a third-party. Few others should be
    allowed to do so.

    The reason law enforcement just doesn't care and won't get involved is
    that credit card theft is a risk of doing business that every merchant
    accepts. Either you know how to manage that risk, and you survive, or
    you don't, and you go out of business.

    Law enforcement will see your appeal for help as a bit silly, since
    you're the one who asked for the credit card information in the first
    place... Unless you've uncovered some new threat vector for credit
    card fraud that law enforcement should do something to stop, you're
    complaining about being asked to take risk. If you don't want the
    risk, stop taking that form of payment.

    Sincerely,

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private