Huge Autoexec.bat

From: Matthew S Barnes (btc1at_private)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 08:53:36 PDT

    Hi all we were working on a system the other day at a client's who called us
    in to fix a downed domain controller, his system was blue screening and so
    we got there and started poking around the system, we noticed something
    weird and wanted to ask if anyone had seen it before. I hadnt ever ...
    His autoexec.bat was huuge 26 megabytes to be exact. Now this computer was
    running nt 4 sp6a and also a ton of other stuff but none of the stuff in
    autoexec.bat as far as i could see was anything related to his systems, i
    told him he was probably hacked and that he needed to really treat this like
    it was a crime scene and try to save all the data so we could reconstruct
    later, well he said he didnt care(no wonder he was hacked ) and told me to
    not waste time on it he wouldnt pay me to investigate he would only pay me
    to fix it. I did save some of the files I thought were suspicious and was
    hoping someone, anyone could point me in a direction to find out what would
    make this autoexec.bat so big? is there any known exploits that do this type
    of thing?  I appreciate all you help

    The autoexec.bat file was full of script's and code and also some old emails
    of his from years ago and we never got time to go thru the whole thing just
    enuff to make me think it was a total compromise of his system.....

    Sincerely

    Matthew S Barnes

    ---
    Barnes Technical Consulting 2002