Re: Possible remote vulnerability in SSH-1.2.27

From: Andrei Muresan (andreiat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 22:34:45 PDT

    On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:14:58 +0500 (AMST)
    stealth <stealthat_private> wrote:

    > A worm scans the network for special configuratiom (particulary ssh-1.x.x
    > allowing remote root login), using buffer overflow, as I could determine
    > gets remote root shell, copies some code, compiles it and runs.
    > The code also include scanner, for the worm to continue it's job from the
    > machine it vulnes.
    >
    > It also ereases /var/log/messages, and stops syslogd and many other
    > services (see attacment for details), disables $HISTORY, adds a user `tcp'
    > to the system passwd file, ereases `top', `netstat', `ps', replaces the
    > sshd with some other service it calles backdoor together with it's
    > configuration file, runs it instead of sshd, changes config files like
    > known_hosts, random_seed, etc, chattr +i /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to
    > make them readonly. Does a lot of other things, you can find them in the
    > attached script I could recover from theleted files.
    >
    > The main goal, as I could determine is to run a process `httpd', that is
    > actually an IRC bot.
    >
    > For the whole stuff in tar.gz format (source code of the scanner, IRC bot,
    > etc) please let me know privately via e-mail.

    This is just another bored romanian kid, it seems we've got lots here. Nothing special about the script, having in mind that is a simple _plain_ text file, probably its very popular on the _newbie_ scene. For them its an out_of_the_box backdoor solution, no matter of the superficial capability. If we think about the "stealth" nature of install, we can be almost sure its all about a lame user/group that does mass scanning/hacking for their "big" irc war.

    Bottom line, just have a tripwire installed/configured and you'll "have" them by dinner. Maybe they think "hey its so simple that they wont even see it or bother to remove it", who knows..

    My kind regards,

    --
    Andrei MURESAN
    Network Administrator