Possible remote vulnerability in SSH-1.2.27

From: stealth (stealthat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 00:14:58 PDT

    A worm scans the network for special configuratiom (particulary ssh-1.x.x
    allowing remote root login), using buffer overflow, as I could determine
    gets remote root shell, copies some code, compiles it and runs.
    The code also include scanner, for the worm to continue it's job from the
    machine it vulnes.

    It also ereases /var/log/messages, and stops syslogd and many other
    services (see attacment for details), disables $HISTORY, adds a user `tcp'
    to the system passwd file, ereases `top', `netstat', `ps', replaces the
    sshd with some other service it calles backdoor together with it's
    configuration file, runs it instead of sshd, changes config files like
    known_hosts, random_seed, etc, chattr +i /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to
    make them readonly. Does a lot of other things, you can find them in the
    attached script I could recover from theleted files.

    The main goal, as I could determine is to run a process `httpd', that is
    actually an IRC bot.

    For the whole stuff in tar.gz format (source code of the scanner, IRC bot,
    etc) please let me know privately via e-mail.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service. For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com