Re: Forensics CD (was: Re: Strange Folder

From: Neil Dickey (neilat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 14:00:24 PDT

    Nick FitzGerald <nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk>  wrote in response to me:

    >> Thanks!  I think I picked up the idea from someone on this list, as a
    >> matter of fact.  I wish I could remember who.
    >
    >Carv perhaps??
    >
    >He teaches forensics and other post-mortem courses, and features such
    >a disk that I seem to recall him mentioneing here.

    No, I don't think so.  It wasn't a specific reference.  Someone just
    mentioned CDs and utilities, and the light went on.  I obviously don't
    claim to have originated the idea.

    >Aside from that, it is a fairly obvious idea

    Nonetheless, judging from the private e-mail I got there were quite a
    few who appreciated hearing about it.  Not all of us have sprung full-
    blown from the brow of Zeus.  ;-)

    >-- if you have to run
    >code in a compromised environment (not necessarily a good idea to do
    >extensively if you are doing forensics work) then obviously you must
    >not trust anything already on the machine.

    Yup.  I learned that back when everyone was worried about what viruses
    did to boot sectors.  "Boot from a write-protected floppy" was the
    mantra then.  That's what clicked when I thought about a CD.

    >(Of course, at some level
    >the tools on the CD are "trusting" the various APIs, etc to be
    >returning true results and as anyone who has failed to adequately
    >handle a box with a rootkit installed will tell you, that is not a
    >clever idea...).

    As I suggested in an earlier post, many -- if not most -- of us on the
    list do forensics on occasion and somewhat rarely.  A CD put together
    ahead of time is at least a place to start, if the boss even lets you
    go that far.

    Ultimately, of course, most of us will have to clean and re-install
    anyway.  It's not very satisfying, but it's reality.

    Best regards,

    Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
    Research Associate/Sysop
    Geology Department