Re: RES: SNMP vulnerability test?

From: John Beuke (jbeukeat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 08:50:55 PDT

    Everything I have read concerning SNMP vulnerabilities and printers refer
    to the Community Name and the fact that most vendors have no method for
    allowing Administrators to change those strings. Is it possible for an
    attacker to use default community names of printers to gain access to
    other parts of the enterprise? Some of the data I have read state that
    attacking the printer mib using the community string for the printer will
    only allow attackers to joy ride around the print server and printers.
    Then other data state that the printers community string will allow
    attackers to obtain the http passwords and other network access password.
    99% of those devices listed were just HP printers and did not state that
    these printers had the ability to network scan, scan to email, or scan to
    desktop. This bring another caviot into the mix in that these systems use
    http, smtp and other ports. Has anyone seen, heard or have any data on
    vulnerabilities with these systems?

    John Beuke