Re: RES: SNMP vulnerability test?

From: Kurt Seifried (btat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 22:56:19 PDT

    > Everything I have read concerning SNMP vulnerabilities and printers refer
    > to the Community Name and the fact that most vendors have no method for
    > allowing Administrators to change those strings. Is it possible for an
    > attacker to use default community names of printers to gain access to
    > other parts of the enterprise? Some of the data I have read state that

    Sure. SOme printers like the newer HP ones are essentially an X86 box with
    lots of memory/hd running linux/apache/samba/LPD/etc/etc. If an attacker
    gets in their they can install tools and launch pretty much any attack they
    want, or tunnel network traffic, or whatever. Or simply make a copy of all
    print jobs and send them "home" for bedtime reading (thus bypassing all your
    fancy security).

    > attacking the printer mib using the community string for the printer will
    > only allow attackers to joy ride around the print server and printers.

    That would be great if all the printers did was print. Alas they also do
    networking, SNMP, LPD, see above for the full blown OS comments.

    > Then other data state that the printers community string will allow
    > attackers to obtain the http passwords and other network access password.
    > 99% of those devices listed were just HP printers and did not state that
    > these printers had the ability to network scan, scan to email, or scan to
    > desktop. This bring another caviot into the mix in that these systems use
    > http, smtp and other ports. Has anyone seen, heard or have any data on
    > vulnerabilities with these systems?

    Some of them run a pretty complete linux system. When's the last time you
    install an Apache/Samba/LPD update on your spiffy HP printer? I'm going to
    bet on "never".

    > John Beuke

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF