Re: Linux Kernel Exploits / ABFrag

From: Curt Wilson (netw3_securityat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 09:16:04 PDT

    >I smell Burneye !! ..... what do you guys think ?

    If you download the ABfrag file from
    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-
    5933.html, and view or run strings on the file, you will see the burneye
    signature in the file header:

    TEEE burneye - TESO ELF Encryption Engine

    I'm wondering if there is any way to determine the burneye options used by
    analyzing the encrypted file? I doubt it, but does anyone have any
    experience with this?

    Looks like we need to get brute forcing that password (could be nearly
    impossible), or perhaps find a good reverse engineer. I recall reading
    material by Dave Dittrich about trying to reverse engineer the x2 SSH
    exploit that had been protected with burneye. I also came across an
    article somewhere, perhaps on the teso website, that talked about the
    sorry state of the "white hat" reverse engineers. Personally, I could not
    reverse engineer myself out of a wet paper bag.

    I'm very curious to learn more about this exploit, and would enjoy seeing
    the IDS activity discussed in the first message in this thread. Do we have
    enough to make a snort signature? Did you get an image of the systems
    memory at the time of the exploit? Perhaps there is a snowballs chance in
    hell that the password used to run the executable could be recovered.

    Curt Wilson
    Netw3 Security
    www.netw3.com