RE: Strange apache logs: CONNECT maila.microsoft.com:25

From: Andy Coates (andyat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 04:10:39 PST

    > Hello,
    >
    > As I was having a look at the access log of a apache daemon I
    > noticed a
    > strange entry. After grepping the access log it appeared this
    > entry has
    > occurred 9 times since september this year. I also noticed
    > the same entry on
    > other servers as well. It looks like something or someone is
    > trying to send
    > e-mail through a microsoft smtp server using http daemons
    > however I can't
    > seem to find anything relating to these entries on both
    > google as well as
    > the securityfocus archives. Most entries (64.*) seem to originate from
    > dialup ip-adresses within the netblock of sympatico.ca while
    > the rest are US
    > based adresses.
    >
    > 68.15.22.55 - - [07/Sep/2002:15:10:16 +0200] "CONNECT
    > maila.microsoft.com:25
    > / HTTP/1.0" 302 0

    That's usually what gets logged when a proxy attempt is made.  Someone
    is either trying to spam someone at microsoft by hiding their source ip
    using your web server as a proxy, or is just testing to see whether you
    are an "open proxy" - which is normally recorded for later use.

    If you don't run any proxy software (squid etc) and its just apache,
    nothing to worry about really.

    I doubt they're targetting you specifically, more likely a complete
    network scan if they are repeating the same request day after day.

    HTH,
    Andy.