Re: Proxy server hit... Any ideas?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 06:22:45 PST

    On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:10:51 GMT, Emeric Miszti said:

    > I was talking in respect of a new box in response to the comment by a

    When you're talking 30,000 machines, even "new" machines is a challenge.
    Even assuming a 5-year replacement plan, that's 6K machines/year, which
    averages out to 20 a day.  And it's worse at the start of the school year.

    And do you *really* think students are going to ask for us to reset the
    firewall for them while they upgrade/replace machines? ;)

    > Of course, I accept that for existing machines it is more of a problem
    > and this is not really possible. That is one of the reasons why I have
    > never been really comfortable with the "Maginot Line" model of security
    > as some have referred to traditional firewalling i.e. building a big
    > strong front door in the hope this will keep out intruders.

    Amen to that.  Schneier equates it to building a fence using one *really*
    big fencepost and hoping the intruders run into it, and a co-worker uses
    as his usual "Firewalls don't work" example "Do you have *ANY* Outlook users
    inside the firewall, and do you allow e-mail to go through? If so, you're
    toast..."

    > You need to have multiple layers of defence and each box should have

    Depressingly enough, this idea was understood as far back as Multics, over
    30 years ago.  We've been moving backwards ever since...

    > some kind of anti-execution/program spawning (sandboxing type)
    > protection for all network workstations and servers. There's plenty of

    Hmm... sandboxing?  Java does that.  Javascript doesn't.  Guess where we
    see more failures? ;)

    > products around that will do this, unfortunately most of them are still
    > very expensive. This does go some way to mitigating, though again
    > unfortunately not totally negating, the risk posed by vulnerable
    > software. It should allow you, however, to feel safer in those periods
    > between patching a box.

    We're extremely lucky that we've not encountered somebody who can program
    well, reads the literature, *and* has both a day-zero exploit and a malicious
    streak. "Curious Yellow" *will* happen eventually.

    http://blanu.net/curious_yellow.html

    Recent research has looked into exactly how fast people upgrade/patch, and
    why.  The results are *not* encouraging...

    http://www.rtfm.com/upgrade.pdf
    http://wirex.com/~crispin/time-to-patch-usenix-lisa02.ps.gz

    > Furthermore, there are multiple ways that additional perimeter
    > protection can be created to mitigate the dangers of mobile code,
    > dangerous file downloads, dangerous emails, etc.

    Yes, but life would have been *so* much simpler had a certain vendor taken
    the commentary in RFC1341 regarding active content and security to heart,
    rather than jump on it as a "feature". ;)

    /Valdis