Re: Strange apache logs: CONNECT maila.microsoft.com:25

From: John Hall (j.hallat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 12:21:23 PST

    Several possible reasons for this:

    1. Someone is trying to find open http proxies to abuse Microsoft:
      a) To forward spam through an open relay at Microsoft (maila.microsoft.com
         is on the MX list for microsoft.com, so I hope that it's not an open mail
         relay!).
      b) To attack Microsoft's mail servers.
      c) To attack Microsoft employee's mailboxes through one of the many Exchange
         and Outlook vectors (the proxy is here used to obscure the source of the
         attack).

    2. Someone is trying to DoS Microsoft's mail servers.

    3. A spammer is trying to find open http proxies that allow port 25 connections
       and is just using maila.microsoft.com because it's likely to be up and
       reachable.

    Any of those seem likely?  It might be informative to setup an internal machine
    with a SMTP maildrop only (like smtpd from postfix) and to force the SMTP
    put a host record in your webserver's /etc/hosts file for maila.microsoft.com
    pointing to your new honeypot and see what happens.  Note that the hosts
    file entry might prevent your webserver from sending email to anyone at
    Microsoft if that is within it's domain of functionality.

    JMH