RE: wu-ftpd attack???

From: Bojan Zdrnja (Bojan.Zdrnjaat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 02:42:17 PST

    I get loads of similar connections every day. I suppose it's some (very
    simple) automated tool to check various servers if they accept anonymous
    connections (probably used by warez kids who then upload their warez into
    server and use it as distribution site).

    In your case, connections from remote client are too excessive - maybe
    automated tool isn't properly configured.

    Default setting in tcp wrappers (which you obviously use to start proftpd)
    allows maximum of 40 spawned sessions of one service in 60 seconds. In your
    case, it goes over this maximum number, so inetd terminates proftpd service.

    If you don't use anonymous ftp (and you said you don't), you can put some
    restrictions on allowed IPs which connect to your ftp server (of course, if
    that's possible).

    In other case, you can put higher value on allowed maximum number of spawned
    connections in /etc/inetd.conf file.

    Just find line with proftpd, it should look like:

    ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/usr/sbin/proftpd

    and change nowait parameter to something like nowait.400
    This will allow 400 spawned connections in 60 seconds.

    Best regards,

    Bojan Zdrnja