Re: Incident tracking database

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 18:15:41 PST

    On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 21:13, Holger Kipp wrote:

    > Danny (Dannyat_private) wrote:
    >

    > >Hey guys,
    > >I've been looking for ages now and have not been able to find a real web based
    > incident tracking system, so what I'd like to do is just throw the question out to
    >

    > There are several Trouble-Ticket Systems available.
    >
    > See for example gnats (which is email-based, but there is a webfrontend available)
    > or the oneorzere Helpdesk System (open source, at http://helpdesk.oneorzero.com).
    >
    > For a very good and detailed overview, see http://linas.org/linux/pm.html
    >
    > Another very customizable system is scarab (http://scarab.tigris.org/) - looks very
    > good to me, though it has some requirements (Java SDK1.3 or higher, Ant, Tomcat,
    > MySQL or Postgres).

    There are certainly some very good ticket tracking systems, but all I
    have looked at appear to lack a couple of features that I want in a
    system for tracking incidents. (Possible exception is the one that comes
    with snortsnarf but it has other limitations).

    The features are:
    1/ the ability to log tickets directly from programs (preferably across
    the network) in a straight forward manner.
    2/ the ability to produce standard emails from standard templates and
    stuff stored as part of the ticket. Eg. incident notification to sites.
    3/ the ability to add things like whois lookups that extract information
    and add it to the ticket which can then be used in 2.

    I'd be delighted if I've missed something and the perfect system is
    really out there.

    I have my own system that fulfills these requirements but is otherwise
    very rude and crude.  I would love to marry its functionality into a
    "proper" call tracking system.

    "It aint necessarily so"  - Gershwin