RE: Odd entries in my Security Router logs

From: David Gillett (gillettdavidat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 12:59:12 PST

      While RFC1918 addresses should not be reachable over the
    public portions of the Internet, VERY few routers are
    configured to discard traffic which shows them (or any
    other bogus/impossible value) as a source.  In general,
    routing and filtering look only at the destination
    address.
      Since these are not supposed to be valid destinations,
    it should not be possible to complete a TCP three-way
    handshake and establish a session with them over the
    Internet.  However, this point is moot if the purpose
    of a packet is to do its damage without such a session,
    either by crafting of the initial SYN TCP packet, or
    using some connectionless protocol.

      Reality, therefore, is that packets from these source
    addresses are seen on the public Internet, and that any
    router/firewall/gateway at a security perimeter should
    drop them.
      Further detailed examination of these packets is left
    as an exercise for admins with spare time.

    Dave Gillett