Re: Odd entries in my Security Router logs

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 09:09:38 PST

    On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:59:12 PST, David Gillett <gillettdavidat_private>  said:

    >   Reality, therefore, is that packets from these source
    > addresses are seen on the public Internet, and that any
    > router/firewall/gateway at a security perimeter should
    > drop them.

    Close to 30% of the traffic at the root nameservers have sources in RFC1918
    space.  This indicates:

    1) A lot of systems behind a NAT have broken configurations causing DNS
    lookups.

    2) The NAT itself is broken allowing the 1918 address to escape.

    3) The ISP isn't filtering.

    There's a *lot* of stupid configuration out there.
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer