Re: Odd entries in my Security Router logs

From: James C. Slora Jr. (Jim.Sloraat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 10:44:47 PST

    Andrews, Jonathan wrote Tuesday, December 10, 2002 12:17 PM

    > 192.168.0.0/16 is a privately addressed netblock.  These packets could not
    > be routed over the Internet.  Do you NAT at your edge router and were
    these
    > traces obtained from the "internal" interface of your router?

    Private addresses _should_ not be routed. They can be and are routed with
    frustrating regularity. I get (and filter of course) private address traffic
    from:
    ISP's equipment
    Forged packets
    Overloaded remote NAT devices or firewalls
    Misconfigured NAT
    Misconfigured complex Web sites

    Some ISPs filter it out and some don't.

    > If so, this would have to be something on your internal network
    broadcasting
    > this traffic.

    Probably so, but not necessarily. Depends on whether private addresses were
    effectively filtered upstream of the network reporting the alert.