Re: Odd entries in my Security Router logs

From: HggdH (hggdhat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 14:11:55 PST

    This is one of the reasons I do not feel confortable with just one of the
    cheap routersin between you and your ISP -- there is no guarantee your ISP
    will filter RCF 1918 addresses out, nor that these routers will. You are
    better off assuming it is up to you to filter them out.

    In fact, these routers will _not_ filter it, since they themselves cannot
    know what IP ranges should, or should not, be allowed in or out. This is,
    right now, the trade-off on paying $50 for a (say) LinkSys router, as
    opposed to $600 up for a Cisco.

    AFAIK, the best option would be to have the router (LinkSys, NetGear, etc)
    PLUS a firewall correctly configured to drop the addresses.

    One detail here -- depending on your ISP, you have to allow for incoming
    RCF1918 source addresses on ICMP responses, if you want traceroute to report
    all hops. My ISP, for example, has a lot of routers on the 10.0.0.0 network.