Re: RPAT - Realtime Proxy Abuse Triangulation

From: Gary Flynn (flynngnat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 06:46:55 PST

    Mathias Wegner wrote:

    >>I would be very nervous about running this, remote SNMP queries of someone
    >>elses system (say a .gov or .mil proxy) may be considered illegal activity
    >>in some jurisdictions.
    >>

    >Depending on the SNMP daemon, it would/should be as illegal as opening an ssh
    >investigating the system from the command line.  Most SNMP offers at least
    >some amount of configuration via the read/write community.  I know that when
    >I see SNMP queries on network hardware that I manage, I consider it hostile
    >activity.

    On the other hand, if someone exposes an snmp server to the public
    network with
    a default community name, I'd say they're making it as accessible as an
    anonymous ftp server, Microsoft C$ file share with no Administrator
    password,
    Kazaa share of entire hard drive, or telnet server with an account of
    "root" and no
    password. I would think it would be hard to prosecute someone in such a
    case
    when the service was made publicly available.

    Not to say that incompetence is justification for criminal behavior but
    how is someone
    poking around the net to know which doors are left intentionally opened
    and which
    are stupid mistakes? If I'm driving down the road and see an
    interesting, unmarked
    driveway/road and go up it out of curiosity, am I breaking a law? Surely
    the owners
    of a service or road that don't want people in there should mark or
    block it.