Re: /sumthin Revisited

From: Sverre H. Huseby (shhat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 13:31:43 PST

    [Chris Norris]

    |   Maybe it's a port 80 scanner that captures banner info. Issuing
    |   GET /sumthin would 99.99% produce a 404 and some server info which
    |   could be added to a database.

    Yes, but you could just as well have obtained the info using "HEAD /",
    which wouldn't show up in the error_log.

    The "GET /sumthin" is the fingerprint of something.  A worm, a scanner
    or something (sumthin) completely harmless.  I think Noam's goal is to
    find out what this fingerprint matches.  And I'm quite curious myself,
    as I see it coming from many different IP addresses, and only for my
    SSL/TLS-enabled domain.

    Sverre.

    --
    shhat_private		Computer Geek?  Try my Nerd Quiz
    http://shh.thathost.com/	http://nerdquiz.thathost.com/