Odd Shares showing up on workstations

From: J Jewitt (jjewitt2001at_private)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 08:02:11 PST

      I'm seeing some strange activity, maybe someone can
    help.

      Windows 2000 workstations (the norm here) are
    getting their C and D drives shared, full control to
    everyone.

      The systems have current antivirus.

      The odd thing is the sharenames. She share name is
    the drive letter --C or D-- with a computer name of a
    DIFFERENT computer in our enterprise appended.
      The problem spans at least two domains that we have
    seen.

      These systems are all on a private network with a
    well-run firewall ruleset.

      So if you look at a system showing these
    characteristics, you'll see a list of shares that look
    like:

    |-|VICTIM
              |+|CSYSTEMNAME1
              |+|CSYSTEMNAME2
              |+|DSYSTEMNAME1
              |+|DSYSTEMNAME2

      So far, it appears it may be an admin script gone
    awry, but no one has admitted to it. So, if anyone has
    seen a worm like this please let me know.

          thanks in advance,
               J Jewitt