Netbios Name Scans/opaserv worm

From: rocky_scottiat_private
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 09:49:07 PST

    Recently I have seen an increase in the amount of netbios name scans from
    internal hosts to what appears to be random public and/or private
    addresses. In one case we found the w32.opaserv.worm and cleaned, but the
    scans continued. In other cases antivirus software found nothing. My
    question to the group is:

    Is there any legitimate reason for these types of random netbios name
    scans, or any netbios name scan for that matter? Also, does anyone know if
    there is any way to remotely detect this worm on a machine without running
    a local virus scan?

    Thanks and Regards
    Rocky Scotti
    Sr. Network Engineer