Re: The Return of Code Red II?

From: Kevin Patz (jambo_catat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 11:41:38 PST

    I'm seeing CR/CRII-looking scans today too.  Mostly
    from one or two IPs right now.  I'm on a ATTBI (now
    Comcast) cable modem with a 24.62.x.x IP address and
    most of my scans are coming from another, single
    24.62.x.x address.  I have seen some scans from other
    networks as well, such as a 24.117.x.x, and a
    61.182.x.x.  I've seen 7 CRII-like scans today so
    far.  I differentiate between CR/CRII and Nimda by the
    number of connection attempts by one IP/source port
    (since I deny SYN packets):  2 attempts signifies
    Nimda, 3 signifies CR/CRII, so it's possible that
    something else that makes 3 attempts on port 80 could
    be misinterpreted by my script as CRII.

    If I recall correctly CRII would reboot the host
    anytime during 10/01 or anytime in 2002, but I don't
    recall any mention of this happening beyond 2002, so
    it's possible that it could spread again.

    I tried connecting to two of the scanning IPs with
    lynx; one returned a 500 Server error; the other
    returned a PWS 4.0 home page, so if it's an unpatched
    IIS box it could be infected with CRII.

    >From: "Stan Burditzman" <slidefx2at_private>
    >To: incidentsat_private
    >Subject: The Return of Code Red II?
    >Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:24:09 -0600
    >
    >Is anyone else seeing traffic generated by Code Red
    II.  I thought it wasn't
    >supposed to propagate after 10/01?

    <Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
    Take back your personal time.
    15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
    <A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure"> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>