Re: California State Bill SB1386

From: Anders Reed Mohn (anders_rmat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 00:26:24 PST

    >I appreciate the various replies that I've received. However,
    >the fundamental question of what defines encryption, so far as
    >SB1386 is concerned, is still unanswered. I've looked through
    >other California State Bills and supporting documentation, all
    >to no avail.

    You could maybe ask:
    Jacqueline Craig, jcraigat_private, , who according to
    http://istpub.berkeley.edu:4201/bcc/Spring2003/news.sb1386.html
    "will chair the SB 1386 working group" at Berkeley, to ensure that
    campuses are compliant with the bill.

    How does California Law relate to the US justice department anyway?
    If your lawmen don't know any California precedence (if that's the word),
    then I assume a definition from some federal bureau/office is "next in line"
    to be valid.

    According to these docs:
    http://www.thawte.com/html/CORPORATE/news/crimaliseEnc.html
    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/145,

    the US justice department defines encryption as referring to "the scrambling
    (and descrambling) of [..] communications, [..] using mathematical formulas
    or algorithms in order to [..] prevent unauthorized recipients from
    accessing or
    altering, such communications or information."

    Unless there is a clarification somewhere in the text of the
    "Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003", this would seem to include
    any kind of scrambling, as long as the purpose is to hide the plaintext.
    I have searched other DOJ documents for definitions, but they all seem to
    give much the same definition. There is no requirements stated as to the
    quality of the encryption, ie. noone seem to (explicitly) state that the
    encryption must be of a certain type or quality, for it to actually "prevent
    unauthorized recipients from accessing or altering, etc."
    I am guessing that in court it would be argued that the _intent_ to hide
    information is every bit as important as the hiding itself.

    Also,this article:
    http://www.onlinesecurity.com/index.php
    claims that  "Several national consulting and integration firms have been
    quietly promoting 'best practices' within the compliance space as it relates
    to electronic commerce."
    One of these, if you can identify one, would have a definition of encryption
    in relation to this, would they not?

    Cheers,
    Anders RM :)

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfihl1