RE: strange DNS behavior over the last 2 days

From: Levinson, Karl (LevinsonK@STARS-SMI.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 13:00:29 PST

    Two thoughts: when I see different results from NSLOOKUP and PING, I think
    about checking other sources of name resolution, such as WINS or NetBIOS
    name broadcast requests [and looking at the local machine name cache using
    NBTSTAT -c and IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS on Windows 2000 to display, NBTSTAT -R and
    IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS to flush the local caches].  If the problem is due to
    NetBIOS names, you might consider confirming your firewall blocks NetBIOS
    both to and from the internet.

    Also, you might read the article at www.cert.org concerning DNS cache
    poisoning [Microsoft naturally had to rename it to "pollution"] and see if
    that might apply to your situation.  If this was the case, flushing the name
    caches on both the local host and the server [for example by restarting the
    DNS service] would probably make the problem go away immediately [though
    temporarily].  Whether or notn this is the problem here, IMHO you really
    should consider enabling the setting to prevent cache poisoning on probably
    any Microsoft DNS server as described here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241352