RE: Logon/Logoff Failure Events

From: Robert Wagner (rwagnerat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 07:16:28 PST

    I am going to suggest a less evil explanation.  This may be the reason
    depending on how you use your network.

    We have seen a similar problem when an individual has used their id to log
    into multiple workstations, access terminal server, or sign onto a share
    from an unauthenticated machine.  Then the user changes their password on
    their main workstation.  Eventually the places where they were authenticated
    using their old password (these seem to automatically reauthenticate when
    they hit the timeout value - Kerberos ticket life - I think), cause them to
    hit the lockout policy.  The only method for keeping their ID from
    continually locking out is to find all of the places where they are logged
    in and kick them off.  This will keep being a pain every time you hit the
    password expiration date.

    Terminal Services Manager (W2K Server) is a good place to see lost TS
    connections.

    Another thought is the machine has a Service with a hard-coded Service
    Account ID and Password.  - Look for services that cannot start.