Re: POP3 logon attempts

From: dreamwvrat_private
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 07:33:56 PST

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 02:11:27PM +0200, Tom Fischer wrote:
    > Hi,
    > some of our POP3 servers got DoSed cause of massive password probes
    > against following accounts:
    >
    > admin
    > backup
    > data
    > master
    > oracle
    > root
    > server
    > sybase
    > test
    > user
    > web
    > webmaster
    >
    > Does someone know a tool which will brute force these accounts?
    It's likely just a script that automates this for the tickler to
    the tickee. They would just loop via the total number of accounts
    they wish fork to and test for default accounts/passwords for example.
    Have you tried a wrapper to limit the number of connections per
    same ip addr? For example if you do not have more than one connection
    established per ip to get pop3. Then send them a RST. Or something
    like that. AND create a list of accounts that never are allowed to
    access remotely via pop3 and send disconnects to any attempts to
    do so. Obviously log usages that do not meet your ruleset and
    add spice to taste. If some of these they are trying do actually
    exist then create filter rules. TMTOWTDI

    HIH

    Best Regards,
    dreamwvrat_private

    --
    /*  Security is a work in progress - dreamwvr                 */
    #

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents