Re: msamba

From: Steve Bromwich (incidentat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 07:08:18 PDT

    Thanks for all the responses. I'll summarise them in approximately
    order of volume:

    1. Congrats to all the people out of the office. Hope you're having
    fun.

    2. I downloaded the virus, but didn't do anything more than run strings
    over it. I didn't realise it was infected with a virus already, though,
    that's certainly interesting.

    3. I haven't managed to get a copy of 73.tgz; I think he copied it in
    by hand, possibly by scp after he reset the root password. I think this
    was where the "./setup muie 55055 angelboy@the-darkside.info" came
    from.

    4. This was caught because he did rm -rf /var/log, which stopped exim
    from running as it couldn't log incoming and outgoing mail. There was
    also some kind of monitor app running that fired off a whole bunch of
    rm threads deleting everything he touched whenever someone tried to log
    in (I think). I logged in to see a whole bunch of threads doing
    something like ./evil rm -rf directoryname, after which I had the
    client pull the power.

    5. After I booted off a superrescue CD to have a poke around, I found a
    whole bunch of files in /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /sbin which had been
    modified in the previous 24 hours.

    6. After copying off the most recently modified data (no executables) I
    formatted and reinstalled Debian from CD. Data was restored from backup
    and the most recently modified data was eyeballed and put back (it was
    only 5 text files).

    7. I still have access to all the files that were left after the rm
    run. If anyone would like a copy of any of the system files to tinker
    with, let me know and I'll pull them off.

    8. I haven't contacted anyone because I don't have any hard evidence of
    where the intrusion came from. The cahcepu.net appears to be run by the
    guy who tried to get in anyway so I didn't feel it was too worthwhile.

    Once again, thanks for everyone's comments!

    Cheers, Steve

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents