Re: A question for the list...

From: Ray Stirbei (meat_private)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 10:08:37 PDT

    This topic has been coming back in one way or another since Morris Jr.'s worm
    in 88. It is very seductive. I am constantly exposed to the idea of one man
    seeking justice takes it upon himself to take down the Mafia/Darth
    Vader/whatever. Even Bruce Schneier brought back the topic in his last
    cryptogram ( http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0105.html ). He
    concluded: "...  we are going to have to emerge from our protective bunkers
    and actively engage the attacker".

    The active response approach sounds like a more aggresive and effective
    alternative to the our current penetrate and patch model. Today, this is not
    an alternative due to:

    The technical problem:
    1) digital information can be easily altered without detection. Thats the
    reason why computer logs are hearsay evidence, rarely admissible in court.
    Even with integrity measures (like hashing), the level of confidence is much
    lower than a level you'd need to launch a counter attack. This problem is
    addressed in every capital punishment case. Are we confident enough this is
    indeed the right individual to press the button?
    2) computer networks are all connected and its difficult to attack a
    particular network without affecting others. The military ocassionally misses
    targets in the physical world even with expensive guided missiles whose path
    they control. On the Internet, a packet must pass through many networks, and
    it travel along a path that you do not control.

    (Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.)

    The legal problem:
    1) law, and not just specific acts. The purpose of civil/tort law is to
    prevent an individual or group to take matters into their own hands. If a
    burglar broke into your house, you file a police report. You do not grab a
    firearm and look for the guy yourself to pay back in kind.  Secondly, there
    is a concept of due care, or prudent man's rule (in the context of
    safeguards). If you take an attacker to court becuase he took your trade
    secrets and made them available, you will be asked what measures did you have
    in place to prevent this. If you didn't have a firewall/or x and y safeguard
    you don't have a trade secret.
    2) liability. This regards technical problem no. two. If a counter attack
    misses and takes down an unintended host or router, you will become liable.

    Even without bringing the ethical component, I recommend against active
    countermeasures like attacking back. Honeypots and deceptive tools like
    Forescout provide much active defense in a safe manner. In the last few
    months, with the rise of intrusion prevention I have been personally denied
    service four times in as many months. This can't be the best way to acquire
    respect for our profession.

    ray