Re: First time security issue.

From: John Ives (jivesat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 09:25:00 PDT

    For my money, I would say yes, rebuild it.  There are the files you found
    and the intangibles you'll probably never find, like who and why.  You may
    have a good reason to believe you know what happened, and you may be
    correct (especially if you have before and after md5 or tripwire hashes),
    but there are few absolutes. I've recently dealt with a windows rootkit
    (derived from hacker defender it appears) and can tell you that you might
    not know about everything. If our attacker had been a little more subtle we
    might not have been able to find his/her tracks.  As it was I am still
    learning about what happened  a month and a half later(its been a real
    learning experience with Windows Rootkits and how to use forensic tools).

    Yours,

    John

    At 05:47 PM 7/21/2003 +0000, benat_private wrote:

    >Sorry if this post seems remedial, but I'm pretty new to security.
    >
    >Last week out NT4 PDC detected a virus (Pinfi.a) and put it in quaentine
    >as it should. While cleaning up the files, I noticed a new folder in the
    >WINNT/System32 directory: rmtcfg. It was filled with several .exe and
    >batch scripts.
    >
    >Evindetally, someone got in (with admin privledges) and tried to setup a
    >IRC server using a IRC.Flood variant. Luckily, the virus protection
    >kicked in before he could finish setting up the server.
    >
    >I ran handle.exe, listdlls.exe, pslist.exe, fport.exe, and netstat as
    >directed in "Detecting and Removing Trojans and Malicious Code from
    >Win2K."
    >
    >My question is, since the system was compromised and system files and the
    >registry have been replaced/added too, am I just better off formatting
    >the system partition and restoring from a good backup?
    >
    >Thanks,

    John Ives, GCWN, GSEC
    Systems Administrator
    College of Chemistry
    (510) 643-1033

    "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security,  Then you will be hacked.
    What's more,  you deserve to be hacked."   - Richard Clarke

    Any opinions expressed are my own and not those of the Regents of the
    University of California.