First time security issue.

From: benat_private
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 10:47:38 PDT

    Sorry if this post seems remedial, but I'm pretty new to security.

    Last week out NT4 PDC detected a virus (Pinfi.a) and put it in quaentine
    as it should. While cleaning up the files, I noticed a new folder in the
    WINNT/System32 directory: rmtcfg. It was filled with several .exe and
    batch scripts.

    Evindetally, someone got in (with admin privledges) and tried to setup a
    IRC server using a IRC.Flood variant. Luckily, the virus protection
    kicked in before he could finish setting up the server.

    I ran handle.exe, listdlls.exe, pslist.exe, fport.exe, and netstat as
    directed in "Detecting and Removing Trojans and Malicious Code from
    Win2K."

    My question is, since the system was compromised and system files and the
    registry have been replaced/added too, am I just better off formatting
    the system partition and restoring from a good backup?

    Thanks,