Re: First time security issue.

From: MARLON BORBA (MBORBAat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 08:45:05 PDT

    IMHO if you have a forensics expert at hand, you could ask him (her for
    you anti-chauvinists ;-)) for a post-mortem investigation in order to
    identify how that IRC server was "installed" into your system. that
    would shed a lot of light about how to get better security for your NT4
    server.

    If not, and if you need that server in a hurry, you must format and
    restore it.

    HTH,

    marlon.

    >>> <benat_private> 07/21 2:47 pm >>>

    Sorry if this post seems remedial, but I'm pretty new to security.

    Last week out NT4 PDC detected a virus (Pinfi.a) and put it in
    quaentine
    as it should. While cleaning up the files, I noticed a new folder in
    the
    WINNT/System32 directory: rmtcfg. It was filled with several .exe and
    batch scripts.

    /*
    Marlon Borba
    Divisao de Suporte Tecnico
    TRF 3a. Regiao
    (11) 3012-1683 e 9692-8357
    mborbaat_private - marlonborbaat_private
    -------
    "We reject kings, presidents, and voting. We
    believe in rough consensus and a
    running code."
    --Dave Clark, pioneiro da Internet
    */