RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Cisco IOS Denial of Service that affects most Cisco IOS routers- requires power cycle to recover

From: lee.e.rianat_private
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 10:43:02 PDT

    On July 22 Curt Purdy <purdyat_private> said

    > If the packet expires in transit i.e. ttl 1 to router 2 hops away means
    it
    > never gets to that router.  Not possible to fill a queue with a packet
    that
    > is dropped by the previous router.

    Someone said that having the TTL of an evil packet expire on a vulnerable
    router was enough to cause the problem.  The reasoning made sense - the TTL
    expires so the packet gets bumped up to process level, put on the input
    queue and never comes off.  But I haven't been able to duplicate that and
    was wondering if it was a bogus report or my testing was ummm... less that
    perfect.

    So... has anyone been able to verify that the problem occurs when the TTL
    expires without the packet being addressed to the router?  Or is it a
    requirement that the evil packet be addressed to the router?

    Regards,
    Lee