Re: WORM_MIMAIL.A Anyone have any info on what this does yet?

From: Michael.Washingtonat_private
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 11:24:36 PDT

    McAfee here identified it as EXPLOIT-CODEBASE, but this is listed as known
    in their dictionary since 2002.  May be a misidentification on engine's
    part.  No cleaner was yet available.  Checking with McAfee Avert and
    WebImmune.

                          Danny
                          <drh26at_private        To:       incidentsat_private
                          >                        cc:
                                                   Subject:  WORM_MIMAIL.A Anyone have any info on what this does yet?
                          08/01/2003 12:56
                          PM

    We are getting flooded with these little puppies, does anyone have any
    additional info on what this thing does once it infects a host?
    I'll be infecting a box to test myself after i send this email but if
    anyone has done testing already it would great to hear your input.

    Norton have released a Def for this and identify the virus as
    WORM_MIMAIL.A
    (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
    w32.mimail.aat_private)

    If any one would like a copy of the original code you can get it at
    http://akasha.irt.drexel.edu/message.zip

    Danny
    Work - http://www.eBoundary.com - Secure, FreeBSD hosting.
    Play - http://www.eBoundary.net - Who really sets your electronic