RE: WORM_MIMAIL.A Anyone have any info on what this does yet?

From: Anthony Clendenen (aclendenenat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 13:05:17 PDT

    From TrendMicro's site.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MIMAIL.

    This is an Internet worm that propagates via email using its own Simple Mail
    Transfer Protocol (SMTP) engine.

    The email message has the following details:

    Subject: your account %n%
    Body: Hello there, I would like to inform you about important information
    regarding youremail address.
    This email address will be expiring. Please read attachment for details.

    Best regards,
    Administrator

    (Note: %n% is a variable string.)

    TrendLabs is working to provide a more in depth analysis of this malware.
    Please refer to the Technical details for more information about this
    malware.

    Solution:

    AUTOMATIC REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS

    To automatically remove this malware from your system, please use the Trend
    Micro System Cleaner.

    MANUAL REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS

    Terminating the Malware Program

    This procedure terminates the running malware process from memory.

       1. Open Windows Task Manager.
          On Windows 95/98/ME systems, press
          CTRL+ALT+DELETE
          On Windows NT/2000/XP systems, press
          CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, and click the Processes tab.
       2. In the list of running programs*, locate the process:
          VIDEODRV.EXE
       3. Select the malware process, then press either the End Task or the End
    Process button, depending on the version of Windows on your system.
       4. To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task
    Manager, and then open it again.
       5. Close Task Manager.

    *NOTE: On systems running Windows 95/98/ME, Windows Task Manager may not
    show certain processes. You may use a third party process viewer to
    terminate the malware process. Otherwise, continue with the next procedure,
    noting additional instructions.

    Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry

    Removing autostart entries from the registry prevents the malware from
    executing during startup.

       1. Open Registry Editor. To do this, click Start>Run, type REGEDIT, then
    press Enter.
       2. In the left panel, double-click the following:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>
          Windows>CurrentVersion>Run
       3. In the right panel, locate and delete the entry:
          "VideoDriver"="%Windows%\videodrv.exe"
          (Note: %Windows% refers to the Windows folder, usually C:\Windows or
    C:\WINNT.)
       4. Close Registry Editor.

    NOTE: If you were not able to terminate the malware process from memory, as
    described in the previous procedure, restart your system.

    Additional Windows ME/XP Cleaning Instructions

    Running Trend Micro Antivirus

    Scan your system with Trend Micro antivirus and delete all files detected as
    WORM_MIMAIL.A. To do this, Trend Micro customers must download the latest
    pattern file and scan their system. Other Internet users can use HouseCall,
    Trend Micro's free online virus scanner.

    Trend Micro offers best-of-breed antivirus and content-security solutions
    for your or .

    -Anthony