RE: Command Line RPC vulnerability scanner?

From: Russell Fulton (r.fultonat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 03 2003 - 18:42:48 PDT

    On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 10:54, Chris wrote:

    > Scanms returns wrong answer when you disabled DCOM on the target box.
    > (run dcomcnfg, uncheck the "Enable Distributed COM on this computer"
    > checkbox)

    I have noticed the same, not just for the ISS scanner but also for the
    eeye scanner and Nessus.  My guess it that the scanners are a bit simple
    minded and are not checking that dcom is running before sending a probe.
    When they don't get the correct response to the probe they simply assume
    it is vulnerable.

    I've notified IIS, Eeye and Nessus about the problem.

    --
    Russell Fulton, Network Security Officer, The University of Auckland,
    New Zealand.