RE: Blaster Worm Rebooting Patched Machines!

From: Evans, Arian (Arian.Evansat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 08:20:55 PDT

    Eric,

    # We are seeing patched machines being rebooted by other worm
    # infected hosts. Nick Fitzgerald on the intrusions@ list explained that
    it's
    # other hosts attempting to infect the patched system and gets the
    offset
    # wrong based on the 80/20 weighting. Is anyone else seeing this happen?

    In testing I have done, Running the wrong offset has no effect
    on fully patched 2k (SP4) or XP (SP1) nodes. I have test nodes
    fully exposed to the Internet of both flavors, and Blaster has
    no impact on them.

    BTW// I didn't even disable DCOM until last night; it made no
    difference on the fully patched nodes.

    I suspect the missing variable in your situation is different software
    revisions, or people incorrectly reporting to you that all the nodes
    are fully patched...

    Everyone I have worked with who has patched up has this under
    control; no issues.

    Good luck,

    Arian Evans
    Sr. Security Engineer
    FishNet Security

    Phone:  816.421.6611
    Toll Free:  888.732.9406
    Fax:  816.421.6677

    http://www.fishnetsecurity.com

    note: Text email is not Office XP friendly. Turn off the "remove
    extra line breaks" located at |Tools|Options|Email Options if
    it formats incorrectly. Why break text-based email by default?
    Ask Microsoft.

    The information transmitted in this e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
    Any interception, review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action upon this information by persons or entities
    other than the intended recipient is prohibited by law and may subject them to criminal or civil liability. If you received this communication
    in error, please contact us immediately at 816.421.6611, and delete the communication from any computer or network system.