FW: rpc dcom worm and windowsupdate

From: Alon Tirosh (atiroshat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 08:00:57 PDT

    This solution might work, provided that the assessment that the worm is
    hitting per lookup is correct. However, it wouldn’t be a valid solution
    because you're failing to address the problem. In addition, depending on the
    number of infected machines you have, this plan could have a debilitating
    effect on your network. Better to actually patch and clean the systems,
    restore from backups, do whatever you have to do.

    If you're set on doing it this way, I would have a machine masquerade as
    windowsupdate.com and windowsupdate.microsoft.com via your DNS lookup
    servers, and also use your routers to shunt all traffic going to the IPs in
    question at the target machine. This way you have addressed both possible
    situations.

    Good luck,

    Alon