RE: MSBlast and other known exploits..

From: YAO,TONY (HP-NewZealand,ex1) (tony.yaoat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 15:14:42 PDT

    Information in http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-09 may help.

    Tony

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Micheal Patterson [mailto:michealat_private]
    Sent: Thursday, 14 August 2003 12:45 a.m.
    To: incidentsat_private
    Subject: MSBlast and other known exploits..

    I've got reports of msblast infection that I've checked and they indeed do
    have msblast. Also, these systems all have what appears to be a corrupted
    control panel applet. The normal control panel shows up in a left hand frame
    and the contents of add/remove programs is missing. Also, various popup
    windows simply will not open.  I've read that there was a known root kit
    that utilized the same dcom exploit called khat2 (spelling) but I'm not
    having much luck in locating the symptoms of systems that have been rooted
    in this manner. Any information would be appreciated. I will be recommending
    that these systems be blown away and reinstalled from clean media, I'm just
    looking for some info to verify what's eaten away at these things.

    Thank you.

    --

    Micheal Patterson
    Network Administration