RE: rpc dcom worm and windowsupdate

From: Zach Forsyth (Zach.Forsythat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 17:50:53 PDT

    It works fine long term if you really want, but it would be a good idea to remove the record after this worm has subsided.

    Windowsupdate.com is only one way of getting your patches.

    Try:

    windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    V3.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    V4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

    Etc.

    You can safely set a dns record for windowsupdate.com to 127.0.0.1 without affecting most users ability to update. This worm is very poorly written, perhaps another candidate for a conspiracy theory regarding certain sources releasing mainly harmless worms in order to force the world to patch before something more sinister is released.

    :)