Re: Hooking into Linux using the Linux Trace Toolkit

From: Huagang Xie (xieat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 04:19:02 PDT

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > ... and that appears tobe a proposal to substantially expand the scope of this
    > project.
    >
    >    * Architecturally, this coupling makes sense, because both tracing and security
    >      need extensive hooking.
    >    * Politically, it is much more questionable.  Linus said he would accept a security
    >      module abstraction.  He said nothing about a trace facility.
    I agree with the abstraction of a security modules interface. I guess it
    will look like what VFS, sound, network' abstraction do.

    IMHO, I think a good abstraction of this interface will be cover the
    essatial(basic) security function only, not cover all hooks needed by all
    current security projects. Then all the security projects will build on
    top of it (inherit from this abstraction) and can still extend to do what
    they need to do.

    There are many abstract interface implmentation in Linux Kernel now, like
    VFS, Sound, Network, etc, I think we can learn from them.

    Just my .02 Yuan.

    -Huagang.
    --
    Happy Hacking