Re: Hook function suggestion

From: Amon Ott (aoat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 03:07:48 PDT

    On Don, 19 Apr 2001 buddy wrote:
    > Now, the only thing I'm trying to say here, is that nobody seems to care about the
    > reason *why* you would want to hook into, say, sys_fork(). There has been no
    > discussion about the actual threats and insecurities that we want to cover.

    On GACI list, I already posted the a list of RSBAC hooks with some reasons and
    call chains. I attached a slightly reworked version.

    After your rant about people just telling what they did: We all made our own
    reflections about security impacts of certain functions. This is why the hooks
    are there. So what is needed is:
    - justification
    - discussion
    - importance rating, e.g. with levels
    - compilation of useful hooks
    - decision which ones to take for the final solution
    - decision about config switches to select subsets

    > As an example, needing root privileges in order to (un)load modules doesn't make
    > me feel any safer, but apparently I'm more paranoid than you are. ;-) I'm worried
    > about all those people relying on their LKM notifying them of a root compromise,
    > and being owned all the same.

    One of my main reasons for saying 'Modules are not secure enough'. However, if
    all we have (or can get) is a modules interface, let's make the best out of it.

    > I'm not saying that LSM will add insecurity to the kernel. What I'm addressing is
    > the problem that the police face: if you want to carry a gun to protect people,
    > you'd better protect the gun too. Besides, the police's primary task is not to
    > carry
    > a gun, but to protect people.

    Fully agreed.

    > > P.S.  My thanks to Huagang for actually providing the spec of desired
    hooks for > > LIDS.  That's what we really need to be discussing here.

    > I'm certainly not trying to start a broad, general discussion about computer
    > security.
    > I can't wait either to get something done. But not just anything.
    > So, while I appreciate Huagang's effort and input, I thought I'd take the
    > opportunity to discuss the *really* difficult stuff related to security, and how
    > that is connected to LSM.

    Just added my own list, as it is certainly the most important one... ;)

    Amon.