Re: A Comment from User Space

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 16:51:16 PDT

    Milan Pikula - WWW  wrote:
    >this looks great for the userspace, but we have a problem with returning
    >one more return value. Of course, this can be handled by libc, by defining
    >more EPERM return codes.

    Whatever code that comes out of this project will need to be accepted
    by Linus before it makes its way into the kernel tree, and I expect that
    making changes like this may put this at risk.  You're asking for major
    changes to the semantics of the Linux system call interface, and speaking
    personally, I have yet to see a compelling argument for doing so.  Does
    anyone have an existing system (SELinux, capabilities, SubDomain, etc.)
    that requires this functionality?  I'm skeptical.