Re: A Comment from User Space

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 20:00:53 PDT

    David Wagner wrote:

    > Milan Pikula - WWW  wrote:
    > >this looks great for the userspace, but we have a problem with returning
    > >one more return value. Of course, this can be handled by libc, by defining
    > >more EPERM return codes.
    >
    > Whatever code that comes out of this project will need to be accepted
    > by Linus before it makes its way into the kernel tree,

    And that is paramount.  Otherwise we are all just wasting our time.

    > and I expect that
    > making changes like this may put this at risk.  You're asking for major
    > changes to the semantics of the Linux system call interface, and speaking
    > personally, I have yet to see a compelling argument for doing so.  Does
    > anyone have an existing system (SELinux, capabilities, SubDomain, etc.)
    > that requires this functionality?  I'm skeptical.

    Immunix (SubDomain, CryptoMark, and possibly RaceGuard) need:

       * mediation/interposition of file system access system calls
       * mediation/interposition of fork/exec
       * some per-process state
       * SubDomain needs to add one new system call
       * mediation (largely to brutally block) some dangerous system calls

    No, we don't need to return funny results to existing system calls.

    On the "needs a new system call" issue:  what do people think of proposing
    that a block of syscall numbers be allocated to LSM?  This would result in:

       * possibly some modules become incompatible with each other, if they use
         the same LSM syscall number(s)
       * ensures that LSM modules do *not* become incompatible with other emerging
         uses of new syscall numbers

    Is there a kernel mainline protocol for allocating system call numbers?

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.