Re: A Comment from User Space

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 20:29:29 PDT

    >Right. And I'm saying that *THIS* is the time to at least think about
    >defining a new, secure interface.

    Good.  I, too, would be truly interested to hear of a solution, if you
    find one.  By all means, I hope you will study the problem and try out
    experimental solutions in your module.

    But, in the meantime, I plead: don't mandate it on the rest of us
    module-writers.  Remember that the general kernel patches are intended
    to be mainstream, proven, non-research code.  All the experimental,
    research-y policy stuff should go in the policy modules, according to
    my interpetation of Linus's mandate for this project, and at the moment,
    this new interface surely must belong in that category.

    In other words, research on a new, secure interface appears to be outside
    the scope of this mailing list, under my interpretation of its charter.
    Providing suggestions of security_ops hooks that would be required to
    support such an interface, on the other hand, appears to be directly in
    line with the goals of the list, if I can presume to try to guess what
    the list owners would say.