Re: A Comment from User Space

From: Crispin Cowan (crispinat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 17:02:09 PDT

    David Wagner wrote:

    > Steve Beattie  wrote:
    > >It seems unlikely to me that using /proc or a private fs can NOT be
    > >slower.
    >
    > The important question is not whether it is slower.  The real question
    > is whether it is too slow.  Those are *very* different questions.
    >
    > The latter can only be settled with measurements.  (Note that even a
    > 1ms overhead per user-kernel interaction might be perfectly acceptable
    > if it is only called 10 times/second.)  And if we want to present the
    > most compelling case possible to Linus and linux-kernel, I suggest
    > that it is in our interests to have our ducks in order first.

    Fair enough.

    Even so, I am very attracted to Smalley's argument that we should just ask
    the kernel mainline for a single reserved system call, and multiplex it
    within the LSM module.  Thus modules that need high performance can get it,
    and modules that need a rich variety of syscall-like things can get that.

    > (Note also that I explained how to avoid doing an open() on every /proc
    > call: If you call open("/proc/whatever") once, and cache the fd, then
    > you can ensure that each call to the module only has to use a single
    > write(), amortizing the cost of the open() across all such interactions.
    > But again, without measurements, it is hard to know whether this is even
    > needed in practice.)

    Measurement is always preferred over rationalizing :-) but I predict that
    the overhead will be approx. double that of getpid().  With "good enough"
    being both subjective and context-sensitive, I'd prefer to have at least
    one syscall available for high-speed access.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.